Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Breastmilk Storage Tip

I have recently had the privilege of becoming a breastmilk donor for a baby/ mama in need. My lactation journey has come so far and Im very excited about this new chapter. However I came across something I had not encountered in the past and thought I would share it with you all. 

First thing to point out is that regardless of what brand of bags you use (I use Lansinoh) the bottom of the bag will tell you that it is an approximation of measurement. This I knew, but I didn't know how off it actually was until I measured it. It was about an entire ounce off! That's a lot to be off!! 

If you see my photo below, you'll see that the bag advises you to not overfill the bag and to not exceed 6 oz. It also has a line where that supposed 6 oz is. However you'll see that my bag appears to be overfilled. That is NOT the case. This is an exact 6 oz and yet it seems to exceed the 6oz line by a significant amount. So because of how much a difference there is in measuring in bags versus bottles, I would advice that you measure in bottles prior to filling your bags. Again this is only for those who are tracking exact measurements.