Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Sciatic Nerve Pain

Im currently in the midst of my 6th pregnancy. Through the years and with each pregnancy I have learned a lot. My goal in being a doula and in having this blog is to pass on the gems of knowledge I have acquired through the years to anyone who is open to suggestions to possibly help them out. If even one thing I pass on to you all helps you out or makes your life easier, or in more awesome cases, helps you avoid the mistakes I made, then AWESOME.

Since my second pregnancy, my first pregnancy going to full term, I have had to suffer through Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction (SPD). Let me tell you, this is not fun at all. Add to it some sciatic nerve pain and the fact that at least for me, all these issues have progressively gotten worse with each pregnancy, I am at the end of my rope in terms of back/hip/pelvic pain. And I have a pretty high pain tolerance. I mean hello, I did have 4 unmedicated natural births. It seems that these pains not only intensify with each pregnancy, but the pain begins sooner and sooner with each one. Currently as it is, I find myself gasping when I feel that shooting pain. Just turning in bed or moving my leg is excruciating. Walking is almost impossible. I limp as if I was an 80 year old woman missing her cane. So with that, Id like to share a few things that have personally helped me with pain management.

First and foremost being able to stretch and crack my back has been my first method of coping with pain. Those things in itself help relive so much tension and pain. But if you know true sciatic pain, then you know you will need much more.

I have been very successful with using a hot rice pack. These are just little cloth packs (or big) they sell at the pharmacy, or you could make your own, usually filled with rice and you heat them up in the microwave. I find 2 minutes is the magic number for me. Once the heat hits my lower back and my tail bone, I get immediate relief. Now the only downfall of this is that the hot pack eventually cools off. Hopefully by that time you have gotten enough relief to have either fallen asleep (as my pain tends to intensify as the day progresses) or at least enough to be able to move more comfortably.

My next method of attack that I have been using for quite some time now, almost 2 years, is Doterra's PastTense essential oil. This has got to be my favorite oil blend that they sell. It smells amazing and when massaged into the area of pain, you will feel an instant tingling. Similar to that of Vic's vapor rub, only better. Im telling you when this is applied this is the only thing that will pretty much take the pain 100% away. It lasts a few hours too. And this particular oil is great not only for aches and pains but fantastic for headaches and migraines as well.

Now a little more about Doterra. I am a member with them and pay an annual membership and they require a monthly order (no minimum purchase amount). Also by being a member you get discounted prices instead of the full retail price. So for those of you interested in getting this oil without having to sign up for an account there are a few ways going about getting it. First off, you can find someone who has an account (like I do) to add it to their order. This is the cheapest way to get it. Otherwise, you can search Amazon.com or Ebay.com and see who is selling online. Prices will vary since the price is set by the seller. But I can tell you that almost always you will be paying more this way. You can also see if there is a Doterra brand rep that is willing to send you a sample of this oil before you commit to buying.

Now because these wonderful essential oils are a little on the pricey range I wanted to have another method of treating my pain without using a whole bottle of oil a week. I recently purchased pure magnesium oil as I had read great things about it. Although they call it an oil, its not actually an oil. It has a consistency similar to oil, but non greasy, so thats why they categorize it as that. Its completely natural. Its basically made up of water and magnesium chloride flakes (aka epsom salt). This is a great alternative to those like me who don't have a bath tub to soak in an epsom salt bath (but if you do have a tub I highly recommend trying it). It also has many uses as well. Everything from pain management, muscle aches and cramps, insomnia, anxiety, depression, heart palpitations, migraines, headaches, PMS, constipation and much much more. It really is amazing! Now from what I have learned, most people are deficient in magnesium. So when first applied, those who are deficient may feel a slight burning or tingling sensation. The more you use it, the less deficient you are and the less it will sting. I didn't really experience any stinging when using this. I sprayed it all over my lower back and down my legs where I had the shooting pain from my sciatic nerve. Thanks to my husband i was able to have it massaged in. The massage itself was wonderful, but it was this spray that instantly gave me relief. Now this isn't 100% relief, at least for me. It is a new product for me so perhaps the more I use it the better it will work. But so far it has probably taken away about 94% of the pain. Still really amazing! Right before I had it applied, I was limping with shooting pain. Immediately after application I could walk without limping with only slight mild discomfort. Relief in only minutes! I was skeptical before I tried this but I just had to try something that I could use more regularly without draining my bank account. And this is my answer to my sciatic/back/hip/pelvic pain.

I hope my tidbits of info help you out with any pain or discomforts you may be experiencing in pregnancy (these are great for when you're not pregnant too!).