Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Free Breastfeeding Support!

If you're like me, you worry about the cost of things. Starting from the cost of the delivery. Then the cost of what you will need to get ready for baby. The cost of daycare. The cost of raising a child... the list goes on. And all of it adds up. 

So if I can help you save some money here and there AND get some essential support, why not? Part of why some women do not succeed in breastfeeding is lack of support. It is so important to have that. Support includes not only from family members and your doctor... but also those that can help should you need assistance. Those people include your OB, lactation consultants, support groups and organizations like La Leche League, and community centers like WIC... just to name a few. 

Should you find that breastfeeding isn't going the way you planned, or you need some help do not feel ashamed. Do not hesitate to ask. The sooner you get help the sooner you can get back on the right path. Even I who has successfully breastfed 2 children have my list of backup support in case I should need it. And I got to tell you, those first 4-6 and sometimes up to 8 weeks is what it takes for me to find my groove and to build up my supply enough. It definitely is a process. 

Anyway, here is a few resources that are free of charge for breastfeeding support:
  • If you are a WIC participant, they have lactation consultants onsite to assist you with breastfeeding. Keep in mind they usually have specific days and hours that they are there. So you will want to check with your local WIC to check their availability. And remember as a participant you can also obtain a free breast pump!
  • WIC also has phone support available if their office is closed or if there isn't a lactation consultant onsite. They can be reached at 1-888-278-6455.
  • La Leche League International is a wonderful resource. Not only do they have valuable information on their website (along with forums to ask questions), but they also have local groups that meet for support. You can even begin these before you give birth to be prepared, and meetings are FREE. To find local support simply click the drop down in the upper left hand corner to choose your country. Then select your city. By doing this you will get the contact information for your local group. You will also get group leader information that can either assist you (or assist you in getting help) for FREE over the phone support. I have used this a few times and it has been a lifesaver.
  • La Leche League can also help answer any questions free of charge regarding what is safe to take during pregnancy. I remember I had to have my wisdom teeth pulled and the dentist wanted me to take Vicodin for pain and I was able to find out if it was safe or not for breastfeeding. Of course I asked my dentist previously but they are really not knowledgable in regards to breastfeeding. He told me no and to pump and dump or give formula which of course would have affected my supply. LLL was able to confirm the safe dosage for me.
So there you have it. I hope some or all of these are helpful to you should you need support.